At its optimum, air conditioning is a godsend. When it’s blazing outside, our AC-filled homes give us reprieve. We can finally sit without sweating. Stand without melting. Lay down and love life again.
Air conditioning also comes with several health benefits. Amongst them:
- Asthma and allergy relief
- Pollen filtration
- Humidity relief
- Cleaner air (usually!!)
Sounds like a dream, right? Right, but only if the unit is clean! If left unkempt, ac bacteria and fungi can manifest. You might be wondering, can air conditioning cause health problems? Unfortunately, it can. Air conditioner bacteria affect our lives and bodies in different ways. Here are some of the most common side effects of dirty AC units and what you can do to make them better:
- Breathing. The most basic life function, impaired by AC. No chill. Fungi and mold can build up with moisture and turn into black mold. The black mold gets passed into the air pushed out thru the vents and causes breathing problems and fatal infections. How to help: Clean your AC regularly!! If you ever smell anything funky, get that unit inspected ASAP.
- Contaminants. If you’ve ever asked can air conditioning make your sick? The answer is yes. In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency believes we might be exposed to more pollutants inside than outside. How to help: crack a window slightly. This will bring more fresh air to be filtered instead of recycling old air.
- Fatigue. If you’re feeling sluggish and ill indoors, try turning the temperature up a bit. If you work at an office, step outdoors for breaks often.
- Dry skin. AC steals your skin’s (includes your hair!) moisture. How to help: Use the AC only when necessary and find a good moisturizer.
If you don’t know how to clean the air conditioner, it’s not a bad idea to call in a pro. Professional air conditioner cleaners not only get your unit back into top-functioning shape, but they can also let you know how your system is doing overall. If it looks like there’s need for repair or maintenance soon, a cleaner will let you know. If you need advice on tips for keeping your home cool and clean, they can also give you helpful insight!
To schedule a cleaning with best providers in town, contact us at Chills!