Indoor air quality? What a phrase, right? You might think: “What on earth is this and why should it concern me?”
Well if, you’ve never heard of it and don’t quite know what it is, now is the best time to learn about it and its importance! Let Chills lead the way!
Indoor air quality testing is important for several reasons. For starters, it can have several effects on your health, on your comfort, and last but not least, on your wallet. This is the short answer. The longer is yet to come.
First and foremost, it is important for you to understand, that your air conditioning system does much more than just pushing out cool air and making hot and humid days in Miami bearable. Air conditioners today (specifically high-efficiency units) also help control IAQ or indoor air quality. From an AC owners standpoint, to maintain high indoor air quality, regular AC preventative maintenance and air duct cleaning is almost obligatory.
So, why is IAQ important?
As stated before, low indoor air quality can affect your health, comfort, and wallet mostly in negative ways. However, with the following tips, you can make sure that your air is clean, healthy, and fresh.
For starters, changing your air filters on a regular basis (let’s say, every three months) can help with keeping the air fresh in your home.
- Dirty filters which have passed their prime prevent proper airflow, thus your system has to work harder to give the same results. Needless to say, this means you will have to pay more for energy bills.
- Old and dirty filters can cause your whole system to overheat and may even cause permanent damage which will also raise repair and replacement costs.
- The filter’s initial role is to keep out dust, pollen, and spores from the air which can cause health issues. A faulty or clogged filter might not do this job properly.
Getting a more efficient system, meaning a unit with High SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) can also be a good solution for high IAQ.
- If you want to maintain good air quality, you need to circulate the air for longer periods, thus allowing the air to constantly pass through the filter.
- Energy efficient systems can run easily at low power for longer periods and can keep the air circulating in your home for longer. This is better for overall air quality and you will use up less power at the same time.
- High-efficiency system (above 16 SEER) offer different speed modes. These settings change the amount of cooling and delivered air flow.
Stay away from ductless systems and room air conditioners that don’t have proper air filtration
- These units might be good for cooling small spaces but if you are not considering to use them only as “add-ons” to your main system but as your main ways of air conditioning, overall circulation and filtration will be less than satisfactory.
- The key to high IAQ is no rocket science. In order to keep your air healthy and free from dust, you need ot keep it moving through your ducted central AC system.
Make sure the humidity is low
- Humid air feels hotter than it really is, which leads you to crank up your air conditioning system, and pay more for energy bills. Without humidity, you would feel more comfortable at higher temperatures.
- Properly maintained AC systems remove moist and humid air from your home, this is why it is important for your unit to run efficiently.
- Humidity can also lead to mold growth, which can pose several health problems.
As you can see, maintaining high indoor air quality is not just healthy but more comfortable and economic. All it takes is just the right system, professional contractors, and proper maintenance. Are you experiencing problems with your AC? Don’t get all worked up, call Chills Air Conditioning!